Sunday, February 11, 2007

Have you ever been in love...

WARNING: SUPER, GUSHING ABOUT ONE'S OWN CHILD. READ ON AT OWN RISK.
Also my spell check is on the blink again

Have you ever been so amazed and overwhealmed by love that you think your heart might explode? My Garrison is so sweet and innocent and such an inspiration to me. Tonight in the car he anounced that he was not afraid of dying because that meant he was going straight to God. Right out of nowhere he says this. How innocent and pure and fearless of a five year old. No wonder Jesus tells us to be like the children.

We have dealt with death a lot in his short life and I've not tried to make it a huge issue more a part of life. I know a lot of people try to shelter thair children but that was really never an option for us. Sean and I talk about things openly with the children and always give an explaination for things at their level. This is no easy task but it's never been an "issue" looming over us. We simply explain that God has a plan for each of us on this earth to further his knigdom and when our job is done then it's our turn to get a big reward, heaven. He has asked many time if we will all be together with Jesus and will Sean or I be waiting for him and wo don't go into any great detail but give him a straight-forward simply answer. He talks about how Adam was made from "dirt" so are we made from dirt and what happens to our bodies. My dod was cremated so that has brought up many questions when we have visited his "memory place". He accepts this as life and doesn't brood over it but joyfully sings "I can only imagine". and seems to really understand that he'll get to be with Jesus. It's okay to him.

After my dad died, several times, I caught Garrison gazing intently out the window of the car. I'd watch him in the rear view mirror and he would smile at the sky.

"Whatcha looking at, Buddy?"
"My Poppy in the clouds. He's flying and watching me."

The first time it was really cute. The third fouth and fifth times I began to wonder what he was seeing. It was never after a conversation concerning my dad. It was always really ramdon times. Makes you think?

The other thing that Garrison does, a lot, It sing "God Bless America". With the purest, unabashed love and from the deepest part of his soul he sings that song. He talked about lady liberty with all the passion a five year old can muster and that's quite a bit. He loves this country and loves to talk about the presidents and what they did for our country. He wants to learn about the Revolutionary War and the Civil War and everything that goes with it: names places, battles, heros, traitors, ammunition, artillery, war ships countrys, Native American tribes and anything else you'll tell him. Presidents day has been a great source of intrest for him as well as Black History Month at school. He's come home talking about Martin Luther King and George Washington Carver.

He will surpass me in knowledge by the time he's in the 4th grade.

There is an old saying, "There really is the smartest child in the world and every parent has it." It's more true than you might first think. You know those parents who talk incesantly about how brilliant and beautiful and bright their children are? They make me nuts but I understand how their heart feels and I share their pride.

If this is for posterity I want Garrison to read this one day and know just how much I love him and that he and Kamdyn fill my heart daily with a love that I never knew or understood before them. It's quite possibly the best feeling in the world to know that your babies love the Lord. If they don't make straight A's, if they aren't the star player, If they struggle in classes but they love and follow Christ then I feel we, Sean and I, have done a good job.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Very sweet thoughts about Garre Bear! He has a brilliant mind....just like you, my friend. I will bet that your momma thought the same thoughts about you.

Shirley said...

Okay,not fair to make me cry. You know how much I love those children and feel they never do anything wrong!!!!! I just pray that God lets Garrison's heart stay so pure and that Kami's is just as pure and filled with love for Him. I also love their mother very much and know how talented she is too!!!