Thursday, December 14, 2006

My night at the hooker hotel, as in prostitute.

I'm going to start off by stating the obvious I didn't know I was going to end up there and had I known it was that sort of establishment when I arrived I would not have checked in in the first place.

Last night was my first night to stay over in Ft. Worth.

"You really don't need a reservation Steph. There are lots of hotels over by TCU."

Okay I bought it and didn't make a reservation. At 6:00 pm I left work, left my cell phone and my art pad (all of which I needed) at the office. I began searching for a hotel in a city of which I am only vaguely familiar. I followed the directions given to me and stopped at the hotel.
"Full up. No room at the inn."
I go across the street to option 2.
"Full up, sorry. Try the Courtyard."
Off I go again this time to the Courtyard. But not before I completely dump out my purse and tear my car apart looking for my cell phone. No cell phone.
The Courtyard had the same answer, but there I asked, "What in the world is going on around here?"
The reply went something like this. "TCU graduation, National Cutting Horse Show, blah blah blah blah..." I quit listening took a map off the counter and thanked the lady. She did stop me any say there was one room available a two room suite with a whirlpool bath for $185 a night. "Thanks, but no thank you."

Had I but known where I would wind up I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

On to dinner at Macaroni Grill. Asked for a phone book and the paper on the table suddenly became very useful. A nice wait person, Libby, found one room available in a hotel off I20. "I'm not sure how you feel about this particular hotel, Mrs. French. Do you want the room? It's at the Super 8"

"Yes. I'm not worried about the hotel. If there's a bed at this point I'll take it." Big mistake.

I couldn't find it 20 minutes away. Got all turned around in the dark in South Ft Worth and finally I see a small sign about a mile away.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a police officer inquiring at the front desk about a 911 call from the main hotel line. The clerk hands me my check in paperwork and informs the police man, in broken English I might add, that no such call had been made. He calls the dispatcher confirms another 911 call has come in from the hotel and wants to look at her call log. Neither can find an 911 call but that could mean (this was confirmed by the clerk) that it could be coming from one of the rooms but routed through the switchboard. GREAT! I did hesitate but at this point it's drive home and back to Ft. Worth at 6:00 am, sleep in my car or attempt to sleep at this scary highway Bates Motel. I chose the latter and said a prayer.

Outside, I said to the officer, " I'm not inspired me with confidence."
"Are you staying here?" He asked. There are actually 4 officers and 2 patrol cars at this point. They look at one another and laugh. "Just push something in front of your door. You'll be fine."
"Like what?"
"Like a couch or a desk." and they laughed again. "Would you like for us to wait until you get to your room, ma'am?" The other officer asks.
"Please!" was my very anxious reply.
I got my stuff walked up the stairs and bolted the door and pushed a huge stripped down desk in front of the door, which is really dumb because there is a HUGE plate glass window and anyone could easily break it to get in the room.
So there I was in the worst part of Ft. Worth, in a seedy motel, surrounded by yelling people and backing up to several XXX rated book stores. There was also a store with the slogan, "you can get it here" on the roof in neon. I have no idea what the it was.

Obviously I was safe and not harmed in any way buy I am seriously sleep deprived. I pulled all the covers off on the floor and slept under the sheet only. I didn't know what was on the bed. I laid my head on a towel over the pillow and basically watched movies all night because I was paralyzed with fear.

It wasn't funny at the time but now it's terribly funny.
I later learned that hat hotle rent by the hour as well as the night and that there are regular drug busts there. It's flanked on all sides by strip clubs book stores, movie theaters and sex shops.

Nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I did hesitate but at this point it's drive home and back to Ft. Worth at 6:00 am, sleep in my car or attempt to sleep at this scary highway Bates Motel." WHAT?!? You forgot to include the option of call your old pal, Amber, and ask to stay at her house. What were you thinking, Stephanie??? Next time, I'd better get a call!