Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Day in the Life...

Today has been one of those days (I can not say rare around here) when it seems like drama is the theme of the day.

It all started about 6:00 am with Kamy coming in and announcing that she was ready to watch "Little Enistein" on the Disney Channel.

The morning went fairly well and we made it to school with time to spare! Major accomplishment. So far so good.

About 10:0Oam, I was looking at some Christmas Card designs in the school foyer area and Kamy's teacher and Kamy come out of the class room. Mrs. Holly is laughing and has a look of aghast on her face. Kamdyn is right behinds her and soon we can all see why Mrs. Holly is laughing. Kamdyn had glued her hair straight up in the front! There is a huge glob of white elmers glue right in her bangs and looks a little reminicent of Cameron Diaz in "There's Something About Mary". Everyone had a great laugh about that. I just had to smile and say what can you do but love her!
I had to wash her hair three times before all the glue came out.

About that same time or a little earlier, in Garrison's class, one of his best little friends is vomiting on her journal. Garrison said her got right in her face after she did it so I'm sure we'll get to enjoy that virus. Poor Lexi! She is such a sweet girl and I hate it that she is sick. I'm sure chaos reigned in that class for a little while. Poor Mrs. Rutledge, too!

For the first day, in my class, no one slept and that makes for a long afternoon. But that was fine. Garrison always comes into my room about 2:00 and Kamdyn usually sleeps until I go down and get her. Today she and Garrison arrived about the same time. I also had promised Garrison, if he had a good day, that he could have our carpool friends over after school to play. He did have a fair/good day so Ashlyn and Trinity were going to come over and play.

Before any of that could take place Garrison opened a cabinet door on his own face and now has a slightly black eye. I'm still not sure how he hit himself but never-the-less, there you go.

Garrison, Kamdyn, Trinity, and Ashlyn played animals until we left school and borded the French Express Van. No major problems there.

Here come the drama!

About half the way home, all is going well. I'm on the cell with my mom and Trinity starts screaming and crying hysterically. I quickly hang up amid the chaos and ask everyone, "What on earth just happened? Trinity, Honey! Talk to Miss Stephanie!"

Garrison says, "Oh my gosh! Trinity's bleeding! There's blood everywhere!"

EXACTLY what you want to hear on the expressway at 65 mph merging onto a tollroad about one of your friend's children in your car!

Ashlyn begins to cry, Kamdyn begins to cry, Garrison keeps saying things like, "She's bleeding a lot, Mom! Look at all the blood! Trinity are you okay?"
Trinity is still extreamly upset. I'm swerving over to the nearest exit ramp to try and find somewhere to pull over and see what in the world has just happened to a 3 year old, strapped into her carseat, in the back row of a mini-van with no protruding surfaces or hard objects anywhere!

It is at this point (mind you this is all happening at once) I happen to glance in the rear view mirror at sweet little Trinity. She has her hands up over hed face and all I can see is blood beginning to trickle between her fingers and her tiny nose. I grabbed my cell, called her mother and said, "There's been an accident and Trinity is hurt!" Of course that was true but a poor choice of words! Steph (Trin's mom) thought we had been in a car accident! I did finally expalain that there had been no car accident!

I managed to pull off the tollroad and the nearest place was: a liquor store! I jumped out of the van, climbed in the trunk space behind Trinity and began attempting to see where the bleeding was coming from. There was enough blood that I couldn't even tell WHERE it was coming from. I could tell that it was not coming as fast. I also didn't see any major gaping wounds so it became clear that we were going to Trinity's house

I'm trying to calm everyone down now. My heart is pounding because there are really two things you don't want to see in car pool.
1. Vomit
2. Blood

I have to say, I was very proud of how well Trinity handled it after I got her some baby wipes (that's all I had in the car) to hold on her face and forehead. Ashlyn was also very brave by attempting to console Trinity and keep her own cool under control.

I got them all the Steph's very fast and she met us in the driveway. We got Trinity out and were all amazed to find that a tiny gash above her left eyebrow caused so much blood. Now how did it happen? What made the cut in the first place? Trinity had been pulling on the center seat shoulder belt attached to the roof/header of the van. It snapped back into place and in doing so, hit her very hard in the forehead!

After a little boo-boo-bear time, clean-up and a Dora Band-aid we eventually made it back to our house. Everyone came home with us like originally planned. The kids played in the yard, threw sand at one another, attemped to cover Trinity in sand, played space ranger (with toy laser guns), and had a terrific time!

I'll tell you I'm glad this is one for the history books. I'm exhausted and ready to go to bed! Kamdyn has already crashed and Garrison is currently fighting it.

Oh one last thing, Kamdyn pooped in her bath water! So in one day I had glue, vomit, blood and poop somewhere in my vicinity. Such is a day in my life!

3 comments:

Traci said...

What a day! You had more going on than I did. Alexis just ruined her journal and got it all over the table. And, I picked her up so fast that there was no time for Garrison to get in her face so hopefully he won't get it! He DID, however, ask questions all day about her! He was very worried!!

That is hilarious about Kamdyn! I just saw that part in "There's Something About Mary" so that makes me laugh even harder!!! You should let her do shaving cream on the table! That always satisfies Riley for at least a couple of hours!!

Kristen OQ said...

Sounds like I missed an exciting day in the 2's yesterday. I think Sam probably had the same thing Lexi did/does. He is better tonight finally, but still has a small fever and bad tummy.

I would have loved to seen a picture of Kamdyn with that glue!

Amber Smith said...

Stephanie, Your blog never fails to make me laugh--hysterically!! You are so so funny. I am glad you are recording these memories for Kamdyn and Garrison to read when they are older. What sillies they are! Reading your adventures wears me out! I think I'll go take a nap. now.