Sunday, July 02, 2006

Rites of Passage

Garrison has become quite the photographer and I wanted to share some of his work with you all.
Summer if flying by so fast and I just want to hold on to every last minute before I turn Garrison loose on the world, or rather let this big-ole bad world influence him. Every day aging, growing into this little man right before our eyes. He is using words and phrases lat remind me that I'll be am embarrassment to him sooner than I'd like. He is taller and thinner and he looks like a young boy rather than my little angel that I held in my arms not so long ago. I savor every moment that he and I spend together. I'm literally counting the days and weeks until that fateful moment when he walks through those doors and becomes a student, still a child, but no longer a baby who trusts moms and dads every word. Now he will question things and learn worldly things at an alarming rate. Things that have never been a part of our world. Have we done enough to cement faith in his young soul? Has God been a part of out daily lives so much so that He is daily walking with Garrison through life? Will Garrison still believe all the innocent things we've taught him? When will he question Santa? The Easter bunny? Will he question God?
This morning Garrison lost his first tooth. It was a monumental occasion marked by fear (of the pain) and then the excitement and pure joy of cold, hard tooth-fairy cash! All day the question was, how much cash? Of course to Garrison a quarter is still all that is required to get that ever elusive gumball or tame a pony at Wal-Mart. So Dad and I will make sure he gets a lest enough for a couple of gumballs and a couple of rides. I've been waxing sentimental all day about the changes it's made in his appearance. Gone is the face of a baby and in it's place is a young boy ready to start the next great adventure. To quote him, "Hey! Loosing a tooth is no big deal, Mom." On to the next big thing....

Kamdyn is going through summer with the aplomb of a 2 year old. She seems to bounce from day to day, following "Buba" into trouble over and over again. This last Saturday she and Garre were playing upstairs and it's been a while since there has been any significant "trouble". (A welcome respite...) Garrison decided to (his words), "...rub his forehead on the carpet to see what would happen." See the pictures...
Kamdyn decides to go to the bathroom and rub "lotion" (Bath and Body Works Bath Gel) from her head to toe; Cucumber and Green Tea to be exact. It is nearly impossible to clean bath gel out of carpet so I sat her in the tub and also set the bath mats in the tub. I feared the mess if I put them in the washing machine. That much agitation and there could be a another significant mess in the laundry room. WHAT A HUGE MESS IT WAS!!!!!

Our house is also overloaded with many boxes of stuff from my childhood home. Things that I couldn't simply throw away and there was no room for at my mom's new place. We currently have three couches and an overstuffed chair in one room and you can not see the dining room table because of the china and crystal from my grandmothers home in Georgia. There are scores of children's books, puzzles, frames, glasses, knick-nacks and various other items strewn about the house. It's a colossal mess. I have every intention of having a garage sale but now it's so hot and nasty out that I just plain don't want to bother with it. As I've stated before I'm not a sterling house keeper and this has truly added to the chaos, and it's all of my own doing.

What else have we been up too??? Lone Star Park and horse racing, birthday parting, light traveling, working, emptying out mom's house, painting, tying bows, Garrison's learning annex classes each week, Swim class, VBS and a million other things too numerous and trivial to interest anyone.

I have been reading quite a bit; Wuthering Heights(Bronte), a favorite of mine, Pride and Predjudice (Austen), a new favorite, The Visitation by Frank Peretti, and scores of magazines while sitting in the car at swim class. I'm totally up to date on all the latest Hollywierd gossip and trash. I've also discovered that I really like talk radio. Particularly conservative day-time talk radio. Thank you, Dad. I also got a terrific new Bible called the archeological Bible. It got all the historical evidence to support the Bible along side the text! VERY COOL!

All is well on this front; We just desperately need some rain. It's bee a while since I've written in the blog. Just bear with me, I'm distracted as usual.

3 comments:

Kristen OQ said...

Glad you're back -- I have missed hearing about what is going on at the French house! Sounds like things are fun and crazy like always!

Amber Smith said...

I cannot believe that Garrison is old enough to be losing teeth!! Our babies are growing up too quickly!!

mcjacobsjournal said...

What a great post! You do such a good job of writing and updating. I enjoy hearing what awaits me a year from now with your big boy Garrison. I can't believe he'll be in school soon!

Enjoy the rest of your summer. It's flying by, that's for sure!