Sunday, May 21, 2006

Light summer reading...

First off let me say my spell check is not working so forgive the type-o's

Since things are slowing down a bit and it's summer, I thought I try a bit of light reading. I selected a simple meaningless book called the Di Vinci Code. I'm serious when I say a meaningless book. I've been watching the history channel to see what all the fuss is about and really it is silly. I'm not here to be political about this book or even get up on a soap box. All I'm saying is this: if you know your Bible and it's validation throughout history how or better yet why does anyone but any stock in this fictional tale about "what-if"?
Yes the Knights Templar existed but all records disappeared over 700 years go.
No one doubts the writings of Aristotle, Plato or Nostradamus and yet there are vastly fewer actual documents validating their existence and writings; why doubt Christ and His divinity with all there is to back Him up both theologically and secular?
It's all very interesting because what it says to me is that there are so many people actually looking for something to believe when the truth is right in front of them. You can play what if over and over again but it doesn't make it real, it's still just "what-if"

That's my take on the whole thing. I am reading the book because I want to be equipped to refute or at the very least have an intelligent debate on the subject. I don't feel like boycotts work because they actually fuel the fire. What's more it makes the boycotting side look superior, not a good stance to open a topic. You also can not ignore it so educate yourself and go from there.

Random moment...
My STUPID dog(s) just ate an entire box of 96 crayons. What do you do with that?

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

3 comments:

Traci said...

I agree with you, totally! I read the book and I loved the mystery of it all. I didn't for one second doubt anything other than what I have read in the Bible!

FYI- Alan went and saw the movie and was SO bored. The book is ten times better!

Kristen OQ said...

The book was great -- but it is just that...a book of fiction. It was a good murder mystery and those are my favorites!

I want to go see the movie too, but have heard it is just not good...we'll see.

mcjacobsjournal said...

I just finished the book and I totally agree too. I wanted to know what the debates were about, and didn't find myself asking "What if" once! But, I can see where those "searching" for something might believe some of it. Like you said, we have to read and be responsible for arguing against the crazy theories presented in it.

Hope y'all are having a great summer!!