
Yes we are alive! Yes we've been doing all the crazy holiday stuff. Getting up the tree (late) wrapping packages, over shopping, running all over town for just the right gift and all the hustle and bustle that goes along with Christmas. I've totally bought into the "commercialism". We are attempting to teach the kids all about the real meaning being all the traditions and start a few new traditions of our own. After we finally talked my mom into using paper plates for Christmas eve dinner, the door flew open ushering in a series of new traditions and best of all options!!! Last year for example we had an Italian feast on Christmas eve. This year it's TEX-Mex at Mimi's! This has been a difficult year for my mom and now Christmas is even harder. She has lost her father, her husband and her best friend in the last 18 months. She did a lot with Mis P during the holidays and now she is gone and mom's having a hard time of it for sure. We are having family come in next week and that will help. Mom seems to flourish in chaos. She will have a house full and love every second of it. She is also having eye surgery next week to remover a cataract that is a result of her diabetes. Maybe she will be able to drive and get out of the house more often.
Christmas eve has always been the biggest time for my family. We opened all the family gifts and then set out cookies for Santa (carrots for the reindeer) and tried to stay up as late a humanly possible to catch a glimpse of the fat man. My mom impressed upon us that if we always "believed", there would be a gift under the tree. I think I was 16 or 17 before I ever admitted I knew the truth. I was great fun because my brother is 11 years my junior and I got to help play Santa for him.
For my kids we start the traditions on Thanksgiving with a letter to Santa with their cousin Peyton. The waiting game and the anticipation builds for the whole month. Garrison has already asked no less than 20 times, "Now when is Christmas eve?" He and Kamdyn just stare at the piles of presents that are stacked under the tree for friends and family.
Kamdyn had surgery on Monday of this week. It was minor and she did a great job. They would not let Sean and I back in recovery with her and I jokingly asked the nurse if they had restraints. She actually did awesome. She has had a sinus infection forever and the ENT removed her adenoids. She really hasn't even slowed down.
Bella (the new Christmas dog)is getting huge already. She is a really sweet dog and I simply must brag on Garrison. He has really stepped up to take care of her. He adores that dog and the feeling is mutual. There is something truly wonderful about a boy and his puppy. All my friends think we are nuts "over here at the zoo" but honestly it has been a great experience.
If she'll just stop pooping on the carpet it will be even better!
We discovered that Chi Chi the cat had cancer. She was put to sleep today. It had advanced to the point that there wasn't much to be done for her. The kids are okay but Kamy keeps asking where she is. The shelter where we got her promised us another cat but you'll be happy to know I turned them down. Thank you but no than you! Duncan, Bella, Clause and Sunny Funshine are plenty for this family.
Because my friend reads this and is homesick (I'm sure) I won't go into detail about how much I miss her and her family. You see, they moved to Abilene last week. While it's not very far away, it seems like forever when I'm used to being 3 minutes from her.
I miss you, Erica. My heart is sad.
Signing off!
1 comment:
I miss you too. I am definitely homesick but know the decision to move was the right one. I cannot wait for Amy's shower and the Ladies Retreat. We will have so much fun!! I am glad Kamy is doing good...you have all been in my prayers. Please give "Mom" a hug for me I know this time of year is hard. Love you all!
Post a Comment